Support Me on Patreon

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Doing things by half

Lately I've noticed something odd in the godot engine. My framerate dipped to 20fps and the max for an empty scene was 30fps. Sure, I've been adding stuff to Little One, but that frame drop was uncalled for. Clamping the framerate at 30fps was a bit unusual, so I did some digging.

Checking my laptop's processor in the task manager, I noticed that only half of my processor's power was being used. I'm pretty sure this was new. My screen's refresh rate was set at 60Hertz, so that wasn't the problem, or was it. Looking on the internet, I found a solution that worked; but I had to change a couple registry values.

Little One's frames went back to full, but "full" is still 30fps. Somehow the refresh rate indicated in the graphics settings is not the rate of my actual computer. With vSync on, godot runs at a max of 30fps. Without it, it could be more, but it still seems to be 30fps. Even with my processor now running at full, I'm still mired at 30 fps. I'll be checking my graphics drivers to see if I need to update.

Either an update fouled something up (most likely), or this is intentional. Why would Microsoft truncate the processing power of a computer? Is it to keep the PC from overheating or crashing? (LOL, I doubt that) Could it be because my laptop is over three years old? I'd assume it's because I have an AMD processor, but intel processors are also being slowed.

Personally I despise my laptop's speed being reduced which is why I messed with the registry settings. The hobbled refresh rate is another matter, but that's difficult to notice unless you're an indie dev.

Speaking of Little One, I've been editing the maps to make them easier to navigate (at all). I'm also testing out shadows, may have to add a flashlight. The caves should be navigable and the spire fields are actually explorable. The player model is in and has animations, but I'm not using the animations yet. I might have to refactor the player or create a secondary version, but that can wait. There are gates to destroy throughout the map, and their destruction is saved with the game.









No comments:

Post a Comment