Support Me on Patreon

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Grain Drain

I added a save function to Little One. Most of the data was just easy to write to the file, but the buildings had to be formatted. Writing the dictionary for the buildings didn't take long, but I've had to add values throughout. A dictionary for the wild plants was also needed. Then I had to make sure the build platforms saved their own values while the buildings saved their values.


The fields seemed like a good start, both wild and domestic. They mostly went off without a hitch, but I had some bugs when I programmed out an exploit. Storage was next, and I gave it little thought before moving to the critter pens. Those pens had a few bugs, but the critters were missing. I had to modify the re-parenting function so they'd work, but the critters never seemed to load. Turns out, they did load, but kinematics and rigid bodies don't like each other and critters got flung.

Last night I checked to make sure everything was working, and the storage buildings were not. I was trying to get values from an empty dictionary within a dictionary. Putting the storage cell generator in the global dictionary worked, but I had to modify a few things. Today I added a few new grain plants just for something new. Most of the plants are modeled, but I need to tweak them.

After all that, I'm going to rest before I add more content. This whole project has taught me valuable lessons I'll carry into the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment